15+ Feel-Good News Stories From the Australian Bushfires That Prove There’s a Silver Lining in Every Struggle
You can’t have the light without the dark. And since Australia has plenty of brave heroes that rescue animals from burning forests, join fire brigades, volunteer in hospitals 24/7, and shelter harmed animals in their own homes, there’s definitely hope!
Bright Side will show you that this horrible situation brought out the best in some people and united complete strangers, forming a supportive community.
1. The Irwin family has saved 90,000 injured animals from the bushfires.
© Bindi Irwin / instagram © Bindi Irwin / instagram
© Bindi Irwin / instagram
2. “Our volunteer firefighters are legends in their own category.”
© cheryl2399 / reddit
3. This young guy is searching for injured wildlife. This is one of 7 koalas he’s saved so far.
© Nomadofthewaves / imgur
4. Tons of vegetables were dropped from the air to help feed animals impacted by the bushfires.
© Matt Kean MP / twitter © Matt Kean MP / twitter
5. The female indigenous Australian fire brigade works 24/7 to protect their land.
© Aboriginal Health in Aboriginal Hands / twitter
6. Comedian Celeste Barber raised over $50 million on her donation page on Facebook.
© Celeste Barber / instagram © Celeste Barber / facebook
7. A zookeeper from Mogo Zoo saved animals from the fire by taking them home.
Staff at Mogo Zoo south of Batemans Bay have been working desperately to control fires on the property, describing it as a “war zone”. They have been able to protect all zoo animals #nswfires 📸: Chad Staples pic.twitter.com/l7bGad1yyb
8. Over 600 bats were evacuated to the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital, getting a second chance at life.
© Bindi Irwin / instagram
9. Chris Hemsworth donated $1 million to fight the wildlife crisis.
© chrishemsworth / instagram
10. A dog saved a flock of sheep by bringing them to a safe paddock, while her owner fought a fire that was approaching their farm.
© patsythecorryongwonderdog / instagram © patsythecorryongwonderdog / instagram
11. Newport’s Muslim community cooks meals and brings supplies to exhausted firefighters and locals in Johnsonville.
© Human Appeal International - Australia / facebook © Human Appeal International - Australia / facebook
12. “This is a picture of my cousin, who saved this joey, and who is fighting the fires in Victoria.”
© officialMorthoke / reddit
13. This girl made wraps for rescued baby bats and came to Bat Conservation and Rescue Queensland to help.
© CarbonChic / imgur
14. An Australian farmer set up a drinking pool for the wildlife of Australia to quench their thirst.
© dudeidontlikeyou / reddit
15. The Sydney Opera house pays tribute to the brave firefighters in Australia battling the bushfires.
© jaymar24 / reddit
16. A makeshift koala rescue center, set up at a school gym in Australia, has cared for over 250 koalas.
© jewfishcartel / reddit
17. Outside a fruit shop in Australia
© BobJoe_1 / reddit
18. WWF launched an ambitious program “Towards Two Billion Trees” to recover over a million hectares of koala habitat by 2030.
© Paul Sudmals / Reuters
19. The Australian town of Bungendore leaves out a stocked fridge with cold drinks for firefighters.
© OlivierDeCarglass / reddit
Do you know of similar stories we could add to this list? We’d be happy to see your suggestions in the comments section below. And in case you want to make a donation to help fight the Australian bushfires, here are several links: Red Cross, NSW Rural Fire Service, Queensland Fire Service.
Preview photo credit Generation-X-Cellent / reddit, Matt Kean MP / twitter